Software Development Manager job at UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
Digital Transformation Project Team
Software development manager
£46,047 to £51,805 per year
Full time, 12 month CDD
THE POST – Software Development Manager
Due to a significant investment in our digital services through UWS, the Digital Transformation Project team is seeking applications from individuals to join the Digital Transformation Project as a Software Development Manager. You will lead the successful software development element of the digital transformation project, within the focus area program defined by the executive, making a significant contribution to the strategic direction of the University.
Working closely with the day-to-day operations of the Information Services department, you will directly lead the integration of key systems including (but not limited to) the University’s student record system, finance, systems HR and University learning platforms.
This development process will require the incumbent to be able to navigate complex systems and work with staff at all levels of the institution. It will contribute directly to improving the experience of our students and will be supported by a comprehensive organizational change program
The successful candidate must have the following:
- University degree or equivalent relevant experience.
- A professional or postgraduate qualification in the field of software development or project management (e.g. PRINCE2 or other equivalent standard).
- Extensive experience in software development, working at a management level in a range of increasingly demanding roles.
- Experience leading a software development team, including recruiting team members and building teams. Manage the team’s workload and plan activities according to agreed priorities.
- A deep understanding of software development languages, tools, and development environments, especially those involved in integrations and APIs, i.e. JSON, Python, HTML, etc.
- Ability to deal with new situations and find logical solutions to complex challenges.
- Solid track record of achievement in the information services space with in-depth knowledge of the provision and delivery of information and digital technology.
- Experience in managing change, to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of university-wide operations.
- Ability to demonstrate highly developed interpersonal skills – written and oral.
- Significant skill in planning the development of complex technical projects.
- The ability to lead and motivate a complex and diverse software development team, creating and promoting excellence in the quality and professionalism of work.
- Excellent change management skills, including the ability to lead others through a period of significant change.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the use of computer and digital technologies and the role played by a software development team.
- A high degree of understanding of IT technical development, technical standards and knowledge of the latest technology trends.
- A broad understanding of how different technologies work and integrate.
The University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and fastest growing modern universities. Our reach across the country, as well as our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation and one of the leading providers of undergraduate, postgraduate and of research. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that prepare them for global success in cutting-edge sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to discover the joy of learning, teaching, researching and innovating, and applying their knowledge for the benefit others.
Our professional services teams are the backbone of the UWS, providing robust and innovative solutions to support the wide range of work in learning and teaching, research and innovation. You will join a supportive and dedicated team, playing a key role in a range of work that will help advance our ambition to deliver cutting-edge research and graduates who will design, shape and build a new future. Learn more about our professional services teams.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package that includes:
- 24 days of annual leave, plus an additional 12 days for public/university holidays
- 19.3% pension contribution from the employer, including compensation for death in service when joining the pension plan
- A flexible approach to work pace and work-life balance
- Employee discount program at 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities on our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellness resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunities for professional development, career and research.
Closing date: September 28, 2022
Interview date: October 12 & 13, 2022
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “disability-confident” employer.
The University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.